Orange chicken that is easy to make at home and even better than take out.
- 1.25 lbs chicken thighs The fat from the skin will give extra flavor
- 2 tbsp whiskey I used Fireball, the whiskey will help give us a crispier product
- 2 tbsp corn starch Helps thicken sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black soy sauce More powerful than regular soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ orange Zest and juice
- ½ cup corn starch
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder Can sub with more chili powder if you have none
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs Keep separate from rest of breading
- 1 big pot vegetable oil Or canola, sunflower, etc.
- 2 cloves garlic Minced
Crack 2 eggs into a new bowl and beat them.
Combine all other breading ingredients into a bowl separate from the egg wash
Dip chicken chunks into egg wash bowl, then cover them thoroughly with your breading.
Fill a pot with about 3 to 4 inches of vegetable oil. Bring the oil up to 375 F.
Gingerly, but confidently, drop the chicken chunks into the oil, one at a time, away from your body. Don't overcrowd the pot, if temperature drops below 325 F, stop adding chicken.
Fry chicken approx. 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Take chicken out to cool.
Get out a big skillet and heat up 1 tbsp of vegetable oil. Add minced garlic and extra orange zest if desired. Fry for 1 minute.
Add sauce mixture to skillet. Stir continuously until sauce becomes thicker, syrup like.
Add in chicken, stir until evenly coated in sauce.
Plate up, add orange zest to make it look pretty! Serve over white rice if desired.
Calories: 848kcalCarbohydrates: 82gProtein: 38gFat: 36gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 294mgSodium: 1267mgPotassium: 699mgFiber: 2gSugar: 38gVitamin A: 454IUVitamin C: 12mgCalcium: 136mgIron: 4mg