Agua fresca, translated roughly, means “diabetes”. Well, it somewhat ironically means “fresh water”. However, it undeniably means “delicious”. I’ll show you how to make 2 different flavors.
Take your favorite fruit juice, add a couple tablespoons(!) of sugar, a spritz of lime juice, some water, and serve over ice. Bam, incredible summertime Mexican beverage. Saved you some reading time, unless… 😉
Jump to Recipe
Blackberry Guava Agua Fresca
I got the idea for this flavor combo from a lady selling fish tacos at a carwash next to the Atlanta airport. Best fish tacos I’ve ever had, and her agua fresca was incredible too.
This recipe is crazy simple, so I’ll try to keep it that way. Besides chucking stuff in a blender, make sure you use the same type of guavas I did. I think I used Mexican Cream guavas. You could try Thai guavas, but they are much larger, so you would have to adjust the recipe.
This one uses a lot of sugar, as I found all the fruits involved to be quite tart, especially after adding the lime. You can omit the mint if you want, but I found that it added another dimension of flavor. Be careful though, too much mint can overwhelm the fruity flavors. For a food pairing, I’d recommend my Honduran taco recipe.
Honeydew Passion Fruit Agua Fresca
This one is a Dennis original idea, so I’m pretty proud. The honeydew’s mellow sweetness helps balance out the extreme tang of the passion fruit. I recommend using only a tiny bit of lime, or you will need to add a lot more sugar to balance it out. Ginger adds some more zestiness too, if you’re into that.
This agua fresca might be my favorite, cause it looks like orange juice, but hits very different. Fun way to fool your guests! Also, you can get away with not using a sieve. The seeds of passionfruit are edible, and get mostly disintegrated by the blender.
For a food pairing, I’d recommend any kind of brunch food, like my French toast with bananas foster.
Other Flavor Ideas
- Watermelon (any kind of melon really, high natural sugar means less you have to add)
- Prickly pear
- Cucumber and Chia seed
- Hibiscus flowers (known as agua de Jamaica)
Blackberry Guava or Honeydew Passion Fruit Agua Fresca
- 1 blender
- ¾ cup blackberries
- 10 guavas small, golf ball sized
- ½ lime juiced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 6 mint leaves
- 2½ cups water
- ¼ honeydew
- 1 passionfruit
- ⅛ lime juiced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup water
- ginger (optional)
- Add blackberries, guava, lime juice, sugar, mint, and water to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add ice to your glass
- Pour mixture into glasses through a sieve to capture the guava seeds.
- Garnish with mint, lime slice if desired. Enjoy!
- Cut passionfruit in half. Scoop the seeds and pulp into a blender. Add chunks of honeydew off the rind, a small hint of lime juice, sugar, water and a little ginger if desired.
- Blend until smooth. Add ice to a glass. Pour mixture thorugh sieve if desired.
- Enjoy your agua fresca!